Table of Contents
The National Law Review reports that 96% of people seeking legal advice use a search engine, and 74% of consumers visit a law firm’s website planning to take action. Clearly, a high-quality law firm website is essential to the growth of a practice.
Nonetheless, many lawyers have questions about website design, development, and cost. Constellation‘s CEO Patrick Carver discusses these concerns and more on a recent Optimized Law Firm podcast episode, Don’t Buy an Expensive Website.
Benefits of Creating a Website for Your Law Firm
Because many people search for attorneys online, having one of the best law firm websites is vital. Patrick shares, “When someone is in that moment of need [for an attorney], they will get out their phone or computer and search for ‘lawyer near me’ or ‘lawyer in my city’… Websites are really the basis of that experience.”
Any attorney will benefit from having an updated website that meets technology requirements. Simply put, there’s too much at risk for law firms not to have a well-designed website.
All Websites Are Not Created Equal
First, let’s discuss the differences between using a law firm marketing team or a general website development company to build your website.
While both create polished websites, website developers work primarily on the site’s design elements. They don’t always consider how the lawyer website will function within organic search results or how much return on investment (ROI) it is going to provide.
Alternatively, law firm marketing teams like Constellation go beyond the standard Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Best Practices to help clients’ websites rank better. They understand that SEO is the most cost-efficient way to bring in leads and provide law firms with the best online visibility.
Instead of having tunnel vision of merely building a website, marketing teams have a broader focus.
- Marketing teams consider how the website will reach people and the leads it garners.
- They focus on providing the best possible ROI.
- They work to supply a final product that aligns with each client’s objectives, improving the law firm’s brand.
- They generate measurable results that impact their clients’ law firm growth.
- They ensure that each firm enjoys the impact of high-quality website design and SEO services.
Disadvantages of Building Expensive Law Firm Websites
Law firm websites don’t have to break the bank to make a substantial impact on your business.
Patrick reveals, “I’ve never seen real qualitative data [showing] that the $10,000 website is going to convert people at a significantly higher percentage than the $2,000 website that looks about as good, but does a way better job of bringing people in and has a lot more organic traffic.”
Let’s check out six more reasons why creating an expensive law firm website isn’t necessarily the best route:
- High-end websites often cost over $10,000. The better option is to spend some of that money on additional digital marketing, like SEO efforts and online advertising.
- Web developers often use custom or niche Content Management Systems (CMS) to create lawyer websites. These systems make it harder to transition to a new developer in the future, and they can be difficult to navigate if the law firm decides to hire a marketing company.
- Many web developers create websites for various industries and don’t have the expertise needed for law firm website design.
- Some website developers spend too much time writing code rather than focusing on the importance of the material on the law firm website.
- Expensive law firm websites often take up to six months to build, with too much time lost in reviewing and approving website components.
- Many website developers create a website and then end all interaction with the client. However, ongoing improvements are needed so the attorney website can grow and evolve with the ever-changing technology.
Better Website Options for Attorneys
Here’s the excellent news: You don’t have to pay $10,000 for a well-designed law firm website.
Patrick points out, “In terms of website selection, there are better options that will give you a bigger benefit than spending a ton of money on a high-end website while neglecting SEO or advertising… Because, for me, that is a much better use of your money and investment.”
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Website Using Wix, WordPress, or Another CMS Platform
Attorneys can use a website like Wix or WordPress to create their own website. With either of these sites, the law firm signs up, selects a template, and adds material and content directly on the platform.
Law offices don’t need to understand coding or have specialized knowledge about law firm web design. It’s easy and affordable to build websites this way.
However, the DIY option has downsides. Most law firm websites struggle to provide proper SEO components for ranking with search engines. And creating a website may feel challenging for attorneys who aren’t as internet savvy.
Benefits of Using WordPress to Create Law Firm Websites
As a DIY option, Patrick recommends using WordPress above Wix: “Ultimately, if an attorney wants to build a sustainable presence with a big foundation that is going to last for years, we recommend building on WordPress.”
If you’re new to creating a website, you may wonder why our team feels WordPress surpasses other CMS programs.
- Attorneys can use WordPress at many price points. While there is a free option, the best plans cost a few hundred dollars per year.
- WordPress provides an easy way to build an attractive, functional website that can be edited anytime.
- WordPress enables people at all levels of knowledge to use the platform.
- Law firms can create basic web pages or complex designs, including building apps and custom forms.
- WordPress has a more robust system for SEO than many other CMS options.
The Best Website Design Option for Attorneys
As discussed, DIY website design platforms are out there, and they are a viable option. But, there are undeniable advantages to using a law firm marketing company like Constellation to design and improve your website. Check them out below!
- Marketing companies can save law firms’ money, which can be better spent on SEO efforts and advertising.
- Using a marketing team for web design saves time and preserves mental resources, allowing attorneys to better focus on their law practice.
- Marketing firms focus on how they can help law firm websites exceed all of Google’s technical requirements, putting law offices in a position to get more traffic and be seen as an authority in their practice area.
Cost-Efficient Law Firm Websites For the Win
Patrick finishes the podcast by pointing out, “You want somebody who’s on the cutting edge of building many law firm websites and holistically combining the best practices from how a website looks, making it very conversion friendly, and maximizing the number of conversions. That’s how you’re going to grow your business.”
Trusted by over 70 law firms, we would love to answer any remaining questions about attorney web design. Reach out to Constellation today to schedule your free consultation and discuss how you can have the best law firm website in your area!